Membership
Site Contributions
Calendar
Kinship Summary
News

Ventrilo Status
How To

To show Channel and Who's Online info configure this widget with your Ventrilo server information.

Need A Vent Server?

If you need a Ventrilo server you can have one setup in minutes. Mumble servers and widgets are also available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Knights of Valour Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frain

re: Our Leader huzzah!

http://my.lotro.com/user-38/2011/09/21/featured-player-pherenn/

Gratz!!!
Pherenn
Pherenn
Leader

re: Re: Our Leader huzzah!

Frain wrote:

Gratz!!!

Thank you!

Pherenn

re: Re: Our Leader huzzah!

Pherenn wrote:
Frain wrote:

Gratz!!!

Thank you!

Pherenn

Greetings Pherenn,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us a little more about yourself! We have put together a list of questions for you to answer. Based on your answers there may be some follow up questions as well. You are welcome to skip any questions you do not feel comfortable answering.

Where are you from? Pherenn lives in the Rivendell Valley, whereas I live near Ft. Lauderdale, in South Florida. Thankfully, Pherenn has a much better view out his window, where he can see the cascading mist of the waterfall at our kinhouse, in Ravenmere, at the Breeland Homesteads.

What do you do for a living? I have been in the legal field for 14 years; my law firm cases involve criminal and civil prosecution of Florida’s defendants. It’s an interesting dichotomy as Lotro allows me the versatility to kill the bad guys instead of making deals with them! J

What do you like to do when you are not playing LOTRO? Any interesting hobbies? I am a private pilot. In addition, I skydive, scuba dive, hang glide, bungee jump, white water raft, canoe, kayak, and really anything interesting and exciting. I am the President of an Adventure Club in South Florida, and our 1500 member group travels the state looking for fun activities. In addition, both my wife (Donphira: 65 Burg) and my son (Barawolf: 65 everything) play Lotro and are into gaming, so spending time with them in real life is wonderful. Yet, as my son and wife also play in Middle Earth; the family that plays together, stays together J  Indeed, when my wife wants attention, she knows to wait till after I finish my latest raid. However, I also know, Level 75 (ROI) wife-aggro cannot be beaten by a Level 65 LM! I’ve tried using +10 roses, but she parries with +20 high heeled shoes attacks that can’t be resisted J

What is the last book you read?  The last book I re-read was one of my childhood favorites, “Ender’s Game,” by Orsen Scott Card. What a great idea… a weightless chamber for laser tag!! Now, all I need is some investors with a few million for R&D to put that into play.

What was the last movie you saw? The last movie I saw was the oldie, Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman. The movie’s ubiquitous statement, “Is it safe?” resonates within me when I am leading raids J Indeed, my typical statement in our raids is…”Please keep your hands and feet inside the raids at all times; preferably attached to your body.”

What kind of music do you like to listen to? Soft mellow rock; I have enough excitement in my life…after all, I’m married! Lol

Where is the first place you were introduced to the Fellowship: book, movie, or game? My father loved to read, and as I am older than most of the typical gaming demographic (I often tell our fellow players, “after G-d worked 6 days, I am the one who told him to take a day off”), a few centuries ago, Dad introduced me to Elrond, Bilbo, and Gandalf. Dad and Mom were wonderful motivators to ensure I loved reading and I earned my allowance by reading books (a buck a book!!!) By the time I entered Kindergarten, I had a sixth grade reading level, and loved Middle Earth!

How did you get interested in LOTRO? It was simply a natural progression for me; my mother was the creator of the Renaissance Festival, in New York City, at the Cloister’s Museum  http://www.metmuseum.org/cloisters/  in 1975. A picture of the Captive Unicorn from that museum resides in my home (http://www.flickr.com/photos/taimoo/5061101836/  , so the Middle Ages always had a soft spot in my heart. Indeed, as kid, all I dreamed of was becoming a “Knight in shining armor” for a fair damsel in distress. One day while surfing the net, I saw a “new” MMO was coming out, and it had a link to see it. After reviewing the information, I received a link as an invitation to join the game and the rest, they say… is history. Four years later, I still love Middle Earth. (This is also a subtle plug to ask Turbine to give us the tapestry as a trophy so I can hang it in my Kinhouse! What a rare item, a “Captive Unicorn” floor to ceiling Tapestry!!!) 

How did you choose your character’s name? After a few tries at different characters, four years ago, while going into the Intro portion of the game, in the Thorin’s Hall’s area, I saw Frerin’s Court, and wanted a unique game sounding name. So, with literary license, Frerin…became Pherenn, and Pherburg, Pherchamp, Phermin, Phertain, Pherhunter, Pherhuntress, Pherkeeper, Pherden, Phergard, and all my other toons J I’m not very original, and the “Pher” naming convention allows me to keep track of my stable of character types. It just seems pretty “Pher.”

What race/class is your favorite? My Elf Loremaster is by far the best; after all, we can nuke the world…and when we can’t, we just mez the mob and run away J

What server do you play on? Vilya, but I have a few alts on other worlds as well.

Are you a member of a kinship? Yes, I am the Leader of the Knights of Valour (“KoV”) kinship www.KoV.Guildlaunch.com, one of the largest Rank 10 Kinships on the Vilya server (1400+ members, 900 active in the last 30 days). We actively recruit low levels so they can learn about Middle Earth and our social mores. KoV has hundreds of every level player from 5-65.

KoV’s family-friendly rules are simple and are found on our site at www.KoV.Guildlaunch.com:

1. Have fun;

2. Chat in kin chat often (PG rated: no cursing);

3. Have fun;

4. When asked for help, and you can provide it, please do. In response, when you ask for help, we too will try to help you!;

5. Have fun; 

6. Donate items to the kin so we can place them in the chests for all kin; your trash may be another members’ gold! Please don’t donate vendor trash, only items of value. The more donations, the less we must worry about AH! ;

7. Have fun!

8. All free kin giveaways must be immediately used, and only for alts IN THE KIN, no trading, selling or giving free or kin auction items to another outside of the kin;

9. Have fun!

10. No selling any item to a fellow knight; they provide the mats and you agree to make the item at no cost if you are able; and

11. Have fun.

The Kinship, Knights of Valour (“KoV”), was created as a place that people could learn, from level 1 to 65, from intro to raiding, and not feel bad about asking for help or questions. It’s meant to foster an environment where people can learn the game and have fun!  This way, we can help turn a noob F2p’r into someone that knows the game and can help others learn it. KoV believes in the idea of the pay-it-forward with an attitude of helping people (not for money). This is the reason KoV has lasted 4 years and has so many players. These rules have worked so well for us that numerous other kins have adopted them for their own use.  Further, In KoV, we have found helping lower levels to be a wonderful way to bring people into our world, and let them grow and expand into the new territories and learn to be involved players.

What did you name your legendary item? Over the years, I have had many LI’s and usually, it’s a simple one; Pher’s Phirst, Pher’s Second, etc. Again, I’m not really very original or creative. That’s why I fell in love with the law; I just follow what hundreds of years of what other attorneys have done. J

Do you have a house in-game? Sure, in Ravenmere, Vilya. In fact, much of that city is owned by KoV members.

Creep, Freep, Neither? Neither one for me; which is disturbing as in ROI Beta, much of the best gear is in the Moors, and I REALLY don’t like going there at all. It seems Turbine is pushing us towards PvP, which is a shame. Considering my line of work, I try to avoid drama in Middle Earth, and the Moors is filled with it. Lotro is wayyy too fun for drama!

What kind of food and drink are must-haves in your inventory? As a raid leader, everything. Simply everything. Greens, reds, blues, purples, pots, tokens, scrolls, virtue and stat food, simply everything. When Turbine made it so a boss mob gets a 180k buff if someone in the raid dies, it behooves us to stay alive during the raid!!! J Simply stated, every buff helps! For me, recently though, with the introduction of the Lotro store, I LOVE the 5% damage buff scrolls. Those are, in my humble opinion, the best price/functionality item(s) in the game. When you can get 25 scrolls that last an hour each, for 155 turbine points, that’s a great deal. Thank you Turbine for that item in the store! I ask all my raiders to consider getting them.

How bout in real-life while you are playing LOTRO? In intense raids, food is a distraction. This is also true for the bathroom, children and dogs. Real raiders strap bottles to their legs (joke). If a raid healer calls out, “I have agro,” it sounds a lot better than “(insert the sound of chewing food here).” However, if I get wife-aggro (like: “It’s time for dinner, get off the silly game!”) during a raid, I have to pay her some attention or its camping on the couch again. Of course, after being married for so long, I like camping on the couch J 

What is the funniest thing you have ever heard in OOC?  It was along the lines of “Can someone help me with this big mob. Uhmm. Never mind, I’m back at the Rez circle.” Actually, on Vilya, we hear funny things daily. Moreover, in a large kin like KoV, we foster a fun attitude, so we often have Pundays… and the worst puns win. Groaners are greatly appreciated!

What is your favorite place to go site-seeing in LOTRO? Rivendell and Lothlorien are simply breathtaking. I have dual 3d monitors, and Middle Earth is astonishing and immersive in 3d. Even the Rift (the Raid, not the skirmish) is amazing to walk through in 3d. If you have not had a chance to see our world in 3d, I would urge all our players to try it; it is BEAUTIFUL. The waterfalls in Rivendell can practically be reached out and touched. Moreover, Melendad, in Angmar, is amazing with the ethereal sounds of the wind going though the area. It is quite exciting to take new players and port them to Rivendell and Angmar to “sight-see”; this “hooks them” to the amazing sights and sounds of our world.

If you could hang out in real-life with any of the NPC’s from the game who would you choose? Any of our Loremaster types! Gandalf, Radagast, or any of our magic users. Why? For training of course!! Teach me new skills: You have a willing pupil! I’d even give them a prized pie!

Where, in Middle-earth, are you most looking forward to visiting? As a beta player, I already play in ROI, and have been lucky enough to be a beta player in all of the expansions. For me, it’s more a matter of “just bring it on.” New content rules! It bothers me immensely that skirmishes are used so frequently by new players that they don’t explore our vast world. All the time and effort used to build our characters; yet, in skirms, new players can get more experience in a faster time, so they avoid actually seeing the sights and learning how to play in our world. These vastly underequipped, and unknowledgeable players, then seek to go raiding at lvl 50-65,when they have never even been in a fellowship. Indeed, one lvl 65 with 3-4s on his virtues was surprised when I told him he needed 10s to be able to adequately survive in a raid. His response was “virtues are unimportant in raids and [he] has done many skirmishes.” L Of course, he was the first to die in the next raid.

As to my involvement with Middle Earth, it has been simply wonderful, and really, it’s been the best “bang for the buck” for entertainment I ever found.  I’ve spent a good portion of the last 4 years learning about our world; indeed, on my main, Pherenn, I have  8 months 2 days 1 hour 6 minutes 29 seconds play time, just on that one toon. Finally, if I can help you in Middle Earth, please send a tell!

Pherenn, Vilya

Leader of the Knights of Valour

Supreme Master Scholar, Weaponsmith, Jeweler, Tailor, Metalsmith, Woodworker, Cook, Prospector, Forester, and GM Farmer

We deliver goods to any battlefield 24/7

Pherenn, in Real Life

Pherenn Leading Raid to Kill Thorog

Pherenn, in Blue with KoV members

Jump to: